This Pumpkin Roll recipe is classic. Anytime I am assigned to bring a desert to an event, I will bring the Pumpkin Roll. Christmas party? Pumpkin Roll. Easter? Pumpkin Roll. July 4th? Pumpkin Roll. And I always come home with an empty plate.
You don’t have to make Pumpkin Roll as your year-round, go-to desert. But it is fall, and Pumpkin Roll is a fall seasonal sensation, so bring on the Pumpkin Roll! So get out your jelly roll pan (also known as your cookie sheet/pan) and make this Pumpkin Roll. Everyone will love you more!
So where did I get this magical go-to recipe? I use the recipe from the back of the Libby’s Pumpkin can. Not from a fancy cake cookbook. Just a label on a can. This cake looks difficult to make. It’s easy! Do what I say!
Pumpkin Roll Recipe
Tools You’ll Need:
- Mixer/ Mixing Bowl
- Sifter & Bowl
- 15X10 Jelly Roll pan
- Parchment Paper to line Jelly Roll pan
- Flour Sack Kitchen Towel to roll cake
- Wire rack to cool cake
- Plastic wrap
- ¾ C flour
- ½ t baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- ½ t cinnamon
- ½ t cloves
- ¼ t salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 C sugar
- 2/3 C pumpkin puree
- 1 C chopped walnuts
- ¼ C powdered sugar for kitchen towel
- 1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 6 T butter
- 1 t vanilla
Pumpkin Roll Directions:
Preheat oven 375˚. Grease your 15X10 jelly roll pan and line with waxed paper. Grease and flour the parchment paper. Sprinkle a thin cotton towel with ¼ C powdered sugar.
Flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt into a small bowl. Beat the eggs and sugar until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly onto wax papered jelly roll pan. Sprinkle with the chopped nuts.
For 13-15 minutes until the cake springs back when touched. Immediately flip the cake onto the powdered sugared kitchen towel. Peel off the waxed paper. Roll the cake and towel together, starting on the narrow end. Cool cake/towel on wire rack.
Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla with mixer until smooth. Unroll cooled cake and spread frosting over the cake. Remove the kitchen towel. Re-roll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Pumpkin Roll Cooking Notes:
- I use cooking spray instead of greasing the pan.
- The original recipe called for waxed paper to line the pan. I prefer parchment paper. It just pulls off easier. I also heavily spray the parchment paper before pouring the cake batter on top.
- It’s important to use enough powdered sugar on the kitchen towel. I have an old linen/cotton kitchen towel that is only used for this cake. Ask your grandma for one. Or get a stack of flour sack cotton kitchen towels for your kitchen. They are good for drying dishes and any other kitchen towel need you have. They are thrifty and efficient.
- When you roll the cake up, always roll from the short end. Doesn’t matter if you roll from left to right or right to left. It still tastes the same!
- If you don’t like nuts, don’t include them. They are entirely optional!