This recipe is from someone’s grandma pulled from a farmer magazine, published in the “way back”. I’ve seen other Carmelita recipes that contain much more butter and sugar. Some Carmelita recipes include an entire can of sweetened condensed milk in addition to the extra butter and sugar. Can you say diabetic coma?
- 1 C quick oats
- 1 C flour
- ¾ C brown sugar
- ½ t soda
- ¼ t salt
- ½ C melted butter
Bake @ 350˚ for 10 minutes
- 1 C chocolate chips
- ¾ C chopped pecans
- ½ C caramel sauce mixed with 3 T flour
Bake @ 350 for 12 minutes
Carmelita Cooking Notes:
- Use waxed paper or plastic wrap on top of the base ingredients to smash them down with your hands. It helps with the ability to flatten down the ingredients to fit into a 9X13 glass pan.
- A great way to mix the chocolate chips and pecan pieces easily is to use a mason jar. Just pour them in and shake! Instant even mix!
- This recipe uses ½ Cup caramel ice cream sauce instead of melted caramels. Easier to pour and many less calories!
- Refrigerate the bars for a couple hours to solidify.
- Though there is less sugar and fat than most treats, I would cut the bars into small pieces. Savor the sweetness!